We're Hiring !
We are currently taking applications for the 2018 season:
Position Summary- Field Crew
The Field Crew position involves working with a small team on all aspects of running a production flower farm. This includes tasks such as: propagation, transplanting, weeding, irrigation, bucket washing, harvest, post-harvest handling. And may include some deliveries. Once the season gets under way the majority of the farm tasks are geared around the harvest and delivery schedule. The ideal candidate has at least 1 year of production farm experience (preferably flower farming), a strong work ethic, and is punctual. Must be able to lift 50lbs and able to work in all weather conditions. Must have a clean driving record and a current drivers license and have reliable transportation to and from the farm in Sunol.
The position starts Mid-April and goes through October. Hours may vary depending on time of season. Full time position between 40 and 50 hours per week. Part time- Hours may vary depending on time of season, two or three days per week. In the height of summer we usually start work at 6:30 am and occasionally start earlier.
The position reports to the Farm Owner and Assistant Manager and works with a small field crew to complete all farm operational tasks. The ideal candidate will be able to work with a sense of urgency and efficiency during busy times. And works well on their own as well as alongside others. Most importantly, the candidate for the position has a good work ethic, is punctual, and willing to work closely in a small team and who has a passion for organic farming and flowers. Non- exempt position, wage to be determined based on experience.
Reports to: Farm Owner and Operator Joanna Letz and Assistant Manager
· Greenhouse Propagation
· Field Plant outs
· Weekly/daily weeding tasks
· Weekly Irrigation tasks
· Weekly harvests of over 50 varieties of cut flowers
· Observes and reports crop and field conditions
· Assists in recording data about yield and time
· Occasionally driving a box truck or cargo van for deliveries
· Weekly washing of buckets
· Works closely with the Farm Owner and Assistant Manager and all Field crew members to achieve the daily and weekly tasks
· Help keep all work spaces clean and organized
· Foster a healthy work environment
Candidate Specification: Key Selection Criteria
· Previous Farm experience.
· At least 1 year experience on a production farm, ideally on a production scale flower farm.
· Demonstrated ability for detail oriented tasks
· Experience with harvest and post harvest handling of cut flowers.
· Experience in greenhouse production and greenhouse management.
· Experience using hand tools for weeding
· Excited about joining a small crew on a 2 acre cut flower farm!
Critical Competencies for Success:
· Bluma’s mission is based on its high standards of quality in both product and organic farming practices. The Field staff position must be able to demonstrate efficient and safe use of tools. He/she must have a good work ethic, be punctual, and have a good sense of humor. The successful candidate will be a team player who displays good communication skills.
· The success of Bluma is based on its ability to accomplish many things efficiently. The Field crew Position will have a mindset geared towards Bluma’s mission and vision of providing high quality flowers to the local market in a healthy and exciting work environment. He/she will be a proven leader who will focus on accomplishing daily and weekly goals with the larger picture in mind.
· The candidate must be able to lift at least 50 pounds and able to work in all weather conditions.
Other Personal Characteristics
· Ability to perform routine farm tasks (weeding, harvesting, planting, bucket washing)
· Strong work ethic
· Passion for organic farming and flowers
· Ability to take initiative
· Good sense of humor
· Punctual and reliable
· Ideal candidate has worked effectively as part of a small team with a wide range of responsibilities
Interested applicants are encouraged to submit an application.
Please email your resume, two references, and cover letter detailing why you would like to work at Bluma Farm.
Please address application materials and any questions to:
Assistant Manager Position or Field Crew (Specify Full time or Part time)
Bluma is an equal opportunity employer. We do not and shall not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion or creed, gender, gender identity or expression, age, national origin (ancestry), disability, marital status, sexual orientation, or military status, in any of its activities or operations. These activities include, but are not limited to, employment, recruitment, advertisements for employment, compensation, termination, upgrading, promotions, and other conditions of employment against any employee or job applicant, selection of volunteers and vendors, and provision of services. We are committed to providing an inclusive and welcoming environment for all members of our staff, clients, volunteers, subcontractors, vendors, and clients.